We're planning on creating a 10GbE network for our office. I've got a list of hardware that all support 10GbE, only the router isn't 10GbE:
- Synology DS3612+ - 12 Drive NAS
- Intel X540-T1 - 10GbE Network adaptor for NAS
- Netgear XS708E - 10GbE Switch
- SANLink2 - Thunderbolt - 10GbE adapter
- Cat7 Cables
Setup is as folows:
- Our gigabit-router (NOT 10GbE) will be connected to the Switch
- Computers will be connected to the Switch via SANLink2
- The NAS will be connected to the Switch via 10GbE adaptor
What I'd like to know:
- Will the computers be able to connect to the NAS at 10GbE?
- Will the router slow things (other than internet) down?
- Any other drawbacks?
The needs for this network are the following:
- We want to do 4K video-editing directly from the NAS.
- We want to transfer 2TB of data to the NAS in less than an hour.