I'm a ICT engineering student studying networking. I was wondering if someone could tell me what type of a cable Cat7 is ?

  • 1
    ANSI never defined "cat 7", so the question is nonsense. Do you mean ISO Class F?
    – Ricky
    Commented Oct 12, 2014 at 5:00
  • Did any answer help you? if so, you should accept the answer so that the question doesn't keep popping up forever, looking for an answer. Alternatively, you could provide and accept your own answer.
    – Ron Maupin
    Commented Aug 10, 2017 at 15:49

1 Answer 1


Cat 7 is neither UTP or STP. It is typically either F/FTP or S/FTP.

  • FTP is foil-shielded twisted pair, where each pair is shielded separately from the other pairs to lower cross-talk. Adding to save someone else the google time...
    – cpt_fink
    Commented Oct 13, 2014 at 4:52
  • 1
    @cpt_fink, actually FTP generally uses foil on the cable, not the pairs. By the "newer" ISO/IEC spec, which hasn't caught on in some places, this would more accurately be F/UTP. F/FTP specificies a foil shield on both the cable and on each pair. S/FTP would be a braided shield on the cable and foil on each pair.
    – YLearn
    Commented Oct 13, 2014 at 11:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.