I'm searching a switch where I can route all ethernet packages over one input/output port. It should be impossible to communicate directly between two ports, but with that single on. How is such a feature, where I can decide which ports are allowed to communicate directly with eachother, called?

  • You are not very clear on what you are asking. Do you mean somethng like Private VLANs?
    – Ron Maupin
    Sep 17 '15 at 16:02

There are several ways to do this depending on the switch vendor. Here is a list of features that can accomplish what you want to do:

  • Private VLANs
  • EVC: Ethernet Virtual Connection
  • VPC: Virtual Private Connection
  • Bridge ports

The list goes on, but that should be a good starting point to compare switches with.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.