I apologize if this is an easy fix, but I just got a used 2960 series S switch and am unable to connect to it through the default gateway. I am using a straight-through, RJ-45 connector ethernet cable with DHCP enabled. I power on the switch and wait till the POST finishes before connecting the ethernet cable, and then wait until the light above the port starts blinking green, afterwards I hold down the mode button until all the lights turn a solid green (to enter into express setup.) When I try to go to the default gateway (10.0.0.1 according to the online documentation) my browser (chrome) says that the site can't be reached. When I type ipconfig into the command line, the line which lists the default gateway is empty. Some of the things I have tried are:
- Connecting from both Windows 10 and Fedora 23 (with DHCP enabled on both.)
- Connecting from both my laptop and my desktop.
- Using a different ethernet cable (still RJ-45 straight-through.)
- Using different ports on the switch (I started with port 1 but have tried several others.)
- Factory reset the switch by holding down the mode button until the device cycles through POST again.
- Attempted to SSH into the switch using PUTTY on address 10.0.0.1
I hope I have given enough information, I am new to networking so if there is anything else I can provide just let me know.
Edit: I am using a Lenovo Z400 touch laptop to connect to the switch with a RealTek PCIe Family Controller for the ethernet.