I am wiring a department in an enterprise environment with cat6 cabling. My server room will be in a separate room from the patch panel . All the wiring will be terminated at a patch panel at the other side of the building.

I want to keep the switch in the server room but I do not want to run every port back to the patch panel. Is there a way to run all the signals from the patch panel to the server room. The only thing I can think of is a fiber channel but then I need a device in the patch panel room and it defeats the purpose. From some feedback it appears to run a remote switch at the patch panel and uplink it to a switch in the server room with a dedicated high speed drop. I would like to eliminate and equipment in the patch panel room but cannot find any other work around.


  • Home networking is off topic here, but no there's no way to do so, your best (and only) option is still to have the switch in the patch panel. – JFL Sep 14 '16 at 15:06
  • Don't wire your house. WiFi delivers more than enough bandwidth – Ronnie Royston Sep 14 '16 at 15:20
  • @RonRoyston: I think this highly depends on the use case. You cannot say that WiFi is always sufficient, not even in home environments. To topic: use two switches of you really need one in your server room. But you will want to use one switch to terminate the patch panel connections. – waza-ari Sep 14 '16 at 15:44
  • @waza-ari No. Wrong. 15 Mbps necessary for 4K ultra HD streaming. Much less than that for normal HD streaming. 802.11ac > SATA III link. I'm sure you can come up with a far fetched what if, but practically speaking: don't wire your house. – Ronnie Royston Sep 14 '16 at 15:56
  • 2
    You changed "my 2 story house" to "a department in an enterprise environment". That's lying to try to make this on topic. – Teun Vink Sep 15 '16 at 19:34

I would trunk vlan's to another switch in the basement .You can use two Cisco switches to accomplish this relatively easy.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.