I'm currently puzzled by why a switch works only when in unmanaged mode. If I enable Management mode, using default configuration, things break down. Here's the current situation:
VL60 TRUNK PC --------- SW1 ------- SW2 ------------ RT 10.0.0.1/24 <none> <none> 10.0.0.254/24
- SW1 is a Dell 2848 operating in unmanaged mode
- SW2 is an Arista 7048-A running in managed mode
Given the above, everything WORKS.
PC can reach its default gateway (
RT) and anywhere else is properly routed.
However, if I change
SW1 to managed mode,
PC cannot ping
I've factory reset SW1 and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Looking at status, the ports are up and forwarding. Any port on
SW1 can ping any other port on itself. If I ping from PC, I can see the lights blinking on both SW1's incoming (from PC) and outgoing (to SW2) ports.
According to the Dell user manual for the 2848, here are the changes when in management mode:
- Switch can be managed through the web interface.
- Managed Mode LED is ON.
- Device uses the saved running configuration (if it exists) or the default configuration.
- The current running configuration is automatically saved to local storage. If the system is switched to unmanaged mode via the Managed Mode button, the system does not load the saved configuration, but it is still maintained in the device’s local storage.
- From Managed mode, you can move to Unmanaged mode by pressing the Mode button on the device, or you can move to Secure mode using the web interface
None of which looks like the underlying cause... What am I missing?