Just to mention an example for that: the en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Medium_Dependent Wikipedia page says the transmitters/receivers are located in the PMD layer while the Cisco Technology Handbook states they're located in the PMA.
My questions are the following:
- What are the roles exactly of the reconciliation, PLS, PCS, MII, PMA and PMD sublayers?
- Does the reconciliation sublayer handle errors, also is one of its responsibilities to hide the different MII interfaces from the MAC layer?
- Where is line encoding like NRZ/NRZI performed?
- Where is scrambling/descrambling done?
- Where is signaling like MLT performed?
- Where is auto negotiation performed? Some sources say it's done in the PCS, some displayed it separately below the PMD layer.