I'm pretty sure the following should be OK, but I don't have a way of testing before I get on site, so it would be great if anyone can tell me if there is anything specific that I'll need to change in my setup to make this work.
Setup 1 (Current lab setup)
- We generate traffic by running dpdk pktgen and send it out of a QSFP+ port on an intel NIC: XL710-QDA2
- This runs via a QSFP+ DAC cable to our analytics machine which uses the same NIC, in promiscuous mode
- This analytics machine is also running dpdk and receives the traffic for downstream analytics
...all works fine
Setup 2 (on site setup)
We want to test this on site at a location that wants to:
- Feed traffic from a tap to an Arista switch and send to 4 x 10G SFP+ ports
- Use a 4x10G DAC to 1 x 40G QSFP+ DAC cable (specifically CAB-Q-S-3M-C)
- Have our appliance working as above, connecting to our QSFP+ interface & running the above intel NIC in promiscuous mode
- Then feed into dpdk and onwards for downstream analytics (as in setup 1)
Everything I've read in similar posts seems to say this shouldn't be an issue, actually not even detectable at the analytics machine, but is there anything specific that I need to set up to make the second configuration work? I've read elsewhere some issues people had with QSFP+ not allowing breakouts, but this was for optical not DAC...I just want to avoid getting on site and everything being stalled and I can't mirror their setup in our lab.
Thanks in advance!