I have a small office. There are ~5 PCs connected via cable. There is 1 PC via WiFi, 3 VoIP phones and a bunch of cellphones connected via WiFi.
There is a Gigalan switch and a internet connection via a modem and router. The internet connection is 10 MB for download and 1MB for upload.
When an user is download a big file from the internet, all the others users cannot browse or cannot place calls. Or the calls have a big latency that makes them very low quality.
How do I diagnose where is the problem? A better switch would make things better? Or is it a problem with my router?
I can run a few tests using a linux box and come back with the results.
My hardware configuration (all home equipment, nothing fancy):
- 1 gigalan switch
- 1 cable modem (provided by my carrier)
- 1 linksys router with public ip
- 1 wifi access point (professional) connected to the switch.
- 3 voip phones directly connected to the switch (no wifi here). each one to different ports on the switch.
- ~5 PCs via ethernet and 1 via wifi.
- I haven't set up any qos in the router or specific configuration.