There are two trunk links with the same configuration connecting two switches. Currently they are independent links and one is blocked with spanning-tree. I would like to convert these to a single port channel without any down time. Is this possible? What is the best procedure for doing so?
These are Cisco, but I think the concept would apply to any switches that support the same function.
What I've come up with so far:
- Shutdown the STP blocked interface, on the core side
- Add both interfaces on the down connection to the channel group
- No shutdown the interface that was shut down in step 1 (STP will block again)
- Shutdown the interface with STP forwarding active (STP will start forwarding on the port channel)
- Add the interfaces on the down connection to the channel group
- No shutdown the interface that was shutdown in step 4
The problem is that step 4 here creates about 1 second of outage. Is there a way to do this without any outage?