I visit a flat and found this type of connector, the place, in theory, is capable of having fiber optic up to 1GB, I was expecting an OTN socket something like this:

enter image description here

Instead, I found this:

enter image description here

  • Unfortunately, questions about residential networking are explicitly off-topic here. You could try to ask this question on Server Fault.
    – Ron Maupin
    Aug 3, 2018 at 14:53

2 Answers 2


If those connectors on the left are RJ45-style, then you are in a neighborhood/building with FTTB/FTTC "fibre technology". You may connect a VDSL2 or G.fast device there.

If the connectors are Fibre Optics style, then this might be a simplex LC connector. Some regions deploy FTTH - and then that's real FTTH - on a single singlemode fibre, where up/downstream light is done with different wavelengths.

For an example, see the cable examples on https://www.init7.net/en/internet/hardware/

  • Socket 1 looks like RJ-45 socket, presumably ethernet
  • Socket 2 looks blanked off or is there something behind the cover
  • Sockets on the right look like Swiss mains power

In some countries, for example the United Kingdom, what the internet company sells as "fibre broadband" is often fibre-to-the-cabinet, ie, copper-to-your-office.

  • That actually is a swiss mains connector, with the bottom left one wired to a switch somewhere in the room. Aug 3, 2018 at 13:30
  • correct, is a Swiss connector but I am very curious because it looks like a RJ-45 with something blue at the end but "no copper"
    – nbari
    Aug 3, 2018 at 13:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.