Does anyone have an idea of how to troubleshoot high network latency step by step?
For example, let's say we have a remote office. And all users are from that office are having high latency accessing a file server from another remote office.
Here's how I would start troubleshooting this issue.
- Check the physical connections from access switch all the way to the border routers and ISP equipment and beyond. If there's no errors, proceed with number 2.
- Check involved devices if they have high CPU utilization. If this is not the case, proceed with number 3.
- Check if the circuit is not over utilized. If this is true, check who are the top talkers.
- If there's top talkers, check what applications they are using while high latency is happening.
- Ask top talkers if they can access the applications during off hours.