We are replacing a "RF modem + Router system" with a Software Defined Receiver. After analyzing the receiving and sent signals we found out that an IPv4 UDP packets have been sent and received. The packets have a source IP like: and the destination IP changes (its sometimes and sometimes broadcast Now the "Software Defined Receiver" is placed inside a PC. As we don't have a router anymore how can we send the obtained IP packets to the destination IP's or broadcast?

  • Did any answer help you? If so, you should accept the answer so that the question doesn't keep popping up forever, looking for an answer. Alternatively, you can provide and accept your own answer. – Ron Maupin Dec 15 '19 at 4:37

You don't need a router if the traffic is sent to IP's within the same subnet. As long as the subnet mask is the same for all hosts in the network they will listen to the broadcast IP and will respond to ARP requests.

  • That is exactly my problem. I have the IP Packet inside the PC. Now how should I send it to the network? If I open a socket and send it it will add some overhead. In short,we don't know how to send it as it is programmaticaly. – Kurtul Jul 1 '19 at 12:37
  • I can't really help you with any custom software stuff, you would need to throw the packet into the tcp stack with something but it sounds like out of scope question for network engineering. – Elias Jul 1 '19 at 12:43
  • Is there something like a SW Router? – Kurtul Jul 1 '19 at 13:48
  • @Kurtul - there are SW routers, or you can just use a Linux box with IP forwarding. – Nathan L. Jul 1 '19 at 16:46

You don't need a router to move traffic within the same subnet, that's all layer 2 transport with MAC addresses resolved with ARP.

There are software routers out there-- you could also use a small Linux VM to act as a basic router. You can check out a tutorial here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.