I have a few questions about my understanding if this is possible and how to achieve the following. As per the example diagram (simplified from potential network) I have a ring network as shown below. I can't change the topology.
Each router is configured to use OSPF, advertising the two subnets 192.168.1.0/24 & 192.168.10.0/24.
Edit: OSPF will not be running on the interfaces of Router 4 & 5 on subnet 192.168.10.0/24
Router 4 has a VRRP Priority of 110, Router 5 has 100. If I setup VRRP tracking on Router 4/5 to subnet 192.168.1.0/24 with a drop of 50.
Checking my understanding on this: Router 4 dies then (mirrored for 5):
- VRRP ensures the devices use Router 5
- OSPF ensures Router 1 (via Router 2) routes all traffic via Router 3
Router 2 dies then (mirrored for 3):
- Router 1 routes all traffic via Router 3
- OSPF ensures Router 4 loses route to subnet 192.168.1.0/24
- Therefore Router 4 lowers its VRRP priority to 60 and devices use Router 5
Additionally, can I add a IPSec (or is it L2TP/IPSec for OSPF to function) tunnel over the 3rd party link and then route through the tunnel interfaces instead?
Thanks for any help, comments or recommendations.
Edit #2: Subnet 192.168.10.0/24 is physically a long string of switches. How would I best solve a break where Router 4 and 5 now both have that subnet, but cannot talk VRRP to each other.