We have an MPLS set up between two subnets. Everything (that is, I have RDP both directions as well as file-sharing) seems to be working correctly except for two things, which may be related.
- Windows computers do not populate the "Network" with devices from the other subnet.
- From the remote computer, we cannot load our internal website located on the host network.
WINS is enabled and working, and both computers know who is the DNS server and who is the WINS server.
The webserver is at
192.168.1.20 (Windows Server 2003) and the computer (Windows 7) in the remote subnet is at
192.168.2.249. File-sharing and RDP work both ways.
So, the host subnet is
192.168.0.0/23 and the remote subnet is
192.168.2.0/23. Each of the Windstream routers have two ports - one for MPLS and one for internet. Right now, the internet port at the remote is not connected. The internet port on the host router runs through our firewall router before entering the host network, but the MPLS port at the host plugs directly into the switch-trunk.
The two Windstream Routers each have an MPLS port:
192.168.1.2= Host MPLS
192.168.2.2= Remote MPLS
The Windstream routers also each have an open internet port to which I have attached a Firewall Router for filtering the internet, making the internet gateways:
192.168.1.1= Host Gateway
192.168.2.1= Remote Gateway
I read here that I needed to list the subnets in Active Directory Sites and Services, so I've created the two subnets as members of the one site.
For my testing, the firewalls are turned off on both computers plus the webserver.
The ISP (Windstream) confirms that MTU is set to 1500, and in their testing, their pings are always sent with a size of 1500.
So what can I try to get these two issues solved?
Here is a map:
[update] When I run Wireshark on the webserver and watch the request for the webpage, I see alot of retransmissions on the http calls. Here is the report:
It looks like http traffic from the remote to the host is what is getting retransmissions. But I've got no equipment that can block it. The firewalls are all off.
So, I can telnet to the webserver from a machine on the same subnet, but I can't telnet to it from a machine on the remote subnet - it reports:
c:\>telnet 192.168.1.20 80 Connecting To 192.168.1.20...Could not open connection to the host, on port 80: Connect failed
Trace-Route from the webserver to the remote computer:
Trace-Route from the remote computer to the webserver:
[update] I enabled IIS on the remote laptop, and I am able to pull that webpage from a computer at the host location. This has always been the case, however, in my tests. The http traffic, therefore, is only one way.