I wanted to understand how a querier election takes place.
- Say we have to L3 devices with ip address 10.1.1.2 and 10.1.1.1.
- PIM is not enabled anywhere.
- I checked around and found that the flow would be as follows.
- Say on device with ip 10.1.1.2, igmp is enabled.
- It immediately becomes querier and starts to send query packet.
- Then igmp is enabled on second device 10.1.1.1
- Since it has not heard any query yet, it starts to send the query and once the first L3 device receives it, since the query that it received has an lower ip, it lets the 2nd device be the querier.
Is this how it works ?
- Also another query that I have is the moment igmp is enabled, will it start to send query or will it wait for some time equal to X and then send ?
Thank you in advance.