I currently have a WLC 4404 running 22.214.171.124. Management Interface IP is 10.128.55.10. AP-management interface is 10.128.55.15. Remote facility (facility A) has a VLAN created for wireless (455) and a VLAN 455 interface created with IP 10.133.55.2. Ports on the remote switch (switch B) have been added to VLAN 455 and AP's have been patched into these ports. The AP's are receiving IP addresses via a DHCP scope created specifically for this VLAN (10.133.55.0 /24) which is physically located at the local facility (facility B). The AP's are successfully receiving IP's from this DHCP scope. This switch is trunked to switch A in the same building. Switch A has a VLAN 455 interface configured with IP 10.133.55.1. VLAN 455 is permitted on this trunk port.
From the remote switches (both A and B), I am able to successfully source ping the AP-management interface (10.128.55.15) from the VLAN 455 interface (10.133.55.1, and 10.133.55.2). However, I am unable to successfully source ping the management interface (10.128.55.10) from the same VLAN 455 interfaces.
After working with Cisco TAC for 6.5 hours today, they say my wireless controller is possessed. I am not yet ready to accept a supernatural phenomenon as a reasonable explanation and was hoping someone out there can help!
UPDATE Took a known good AP down to the remote facility and it comes up on the correct VLAN, receives the correct IP and joins the controller. Brought back one of the non functioning AP's and plugged it in here. The AP joined the controller after downgrading its IOS from 15.2(2)JB to 12.4(23c)JA7. Should the AP's at the remote location be able to connect to the controller here and install the correct version of IOS? Or am I going to have to bring them all here for initial config prior to installing at the remote location?
UPDATE We have found a workaround to get the AP's to communicate. Cisco is saying it's a Microsoft issue with not pushing out option 43 properly. They also say there is no MTU issue while traversing the MPLS to the remote site. What we have done is disable the DHCP scope for the remote AP's and configured the remote switch (ios) as a DHCP server with option 43 pointing to the controller using hex not decimal. Once I did a shut/no shut on the interfaces connected to the AP's, they obtained an IP from the switch and joined the controller. Once joined, I removed DHCP from the switch and re-enabled the scope on our DHCP server. Bounced the AP's again and they pulled an address and joined the controller. Not a solution, but at least they're up and running.