For questions about Local Area Networks (LANs).
There are several definitions for a Local Area Network (LAN). The specific definition often depends on context, but LAN usually refers to a relatively small network within a limited area. A LAN is usually controlled by a single person or organization.
The term LAN may have various meanings, such as:
- An OSI layer-2 broadcast domain.
- A network in a single office.
- A network in a single building.
- A network in a small group of adjacent buildings.
- A network on a single cable plant.